Oh why hello there, dear people who waste their times reading my blog. I’ve been rather busy over the past few months (hence my non-posting, also … I am lazy. Like a boss). But one project I’ve completed in that time was a steampunk Wonder Woman costume for the Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo.
To begin with, I was lucky. Lucky in the sense of “Oh hey, I already have a red corset as my dear friend made me spend a few hundred dollars on a custom made one to be a bridesmaid at her wedding” lucky. I also lucked out in having a mediaeval dress pattern sitting around. Because, uh… who doesn’t have a mediaeval dress pattern just sitting around? I ALSO lucked out when visiting the fabric store by finding an awesome navy blue fabric with stars on it.
The luck ended when I took out my sewing machine to start working on the project and discovered that the tension button for the 30-year-old machine was completely shot. As in “the metal screw holding an extremely important part of the machine together was snapped in two places” completely shot. I ended up borrowing a friend’s sewing machine for two weeks — but had a deadline. As said friend also had to sew her matching Bat Girl steampunk costume. Motivation! It was there. There were other set backs though. Like cat:
Eventually I finished up the dress and started in on the jacket. Considering in all past sewing adventures, armholes were my nemesis, I was pleasantly surprised at how easily this went together.
The real joy was the trimming. Why? Because I got this snazzy edging that while awesome and completely fitting for steampunk, needed to be sewn on by hand.
On top of that, guess what also had to be handstitched? Oh just ALL OF THE GOLD RIBBON TRIM to transform my corset into a Wonder Woman style corset. There was a lot of netflix watched during this period in my life so I didn’t go bananas. Well, more bananas than I already am.
And then it was time to accessorize. Wonder Woman needed a lasso — so that meant a trip to the fabric store to buy golden curtain cord.
A trip to the thrift store lead to the discovery of theses totes awesome earrings.
Then there was what to put on my head. Sure I could go with a tiara/crown. But that doesn’t really seem steampunky. The logical thing to do was to have a small top hat fascinator. This is when years of being crafty paid off. Ribbon spool + cd spindle clear cd + hot glue + felt = awesome.
Look, I’ll be honest. At one point I totally glued my fingers together. And there was burning. But it was all for a good cause, because look at this pretty!!
Well, then there was also the dark blue netting to add. But in the end I even finished up everything way before the big weekend. Tah Dah!